Here are some photos from our Summer Potluck as well as pictures from this years Envelope Exchange!
Program by Risa Gettler and Paul Freeman Awards
Program: Between Verse and Vision, Presented by Risa Gettler
Risa Gettler is an accomplished calligraphic artist from California. For the program, she discussed her work on a years long commission, presenting many images and discussing how and why she created the art. Risa also discussed how she figures her charges for a comission such as this. Her images were very inspiring to all of us.
Photos of Paul Freeman Nominees:
Risa taught us all about Visigothic Versals, using first pencil drafts of our quote, then inked drafts, and finally an inked draft with a capital letter and color as well. Everyone was successful in this class, and several works from class became Exhibit pieces at our recent show at the Library.
Use the arrows to scroll through photos from the workshop.
When you’re just getting started in calligraphy, it can be overwhelming to consider what supplies are needed. There are so many different types of inks, nibs, holders, paper, etc. that without guidance, it’s not apparent what you need or what you don’t. The answer is to consult more experienced calligraphers for their opinions on what works and what doesn’t. Then try those products out and find what works best for you. The Guild has hundreds of collective years of experience and research on many different products. Here’s a list that we consider the basics:
- Six-well rectangular plastic mixing tray
- Double-ended nib holder
- Nikko G nib [or other fine-pointed nib]
- “B” Series nib [or other pointed nib]
- Mitchell #4 nib [or other broad-edge nib]
- Gum Arabic (a small bottle or the powdered type for mixing. Windsor Newton is a good brand)
- Tube of Windsor Newton brand gouache. Color: Ivory Black
- Small paint brush for mixing gouache and distilled water
- Small plastic drop bottle or an eye dropper
- A bottle of distilled water
- Sheets of good quality, acid-free paper for practicing
- 12” -18” metal ruler
You should know that most of these items are available to you in a new member packet. It’s yours just by joining the Guild.
Here are photos from last month’s Adolf Bernd mini presented by Leslie Winakur.
Click on an image to see an enlarged version.