- This event has passed.
May Major Workshop: Visigothic Versals
May 6 - May 7$110
We are pleased to have Risa Gettler joining our guild for both a general meeting and a Major Workshop.
Risa will lead us on a discovery of her Visigothic Versals, a fun and exciting letterform for beginners and advanced students alike. There’s still time to sign up! Call or email Leslie Winakur to save a place! The cost is $110 for members, which includes the cost of the workshop and a $10 supply fee.
Risa says: Visigothic Versals are an exclusive,and independent lettering tradition unique toth – 11th century Spain. This is the magnificentperiod under the rule and influence of Islam,the Ottoman Empire of the East met the HolyEmpire of the West! The results were one ofSpain’s greatest treasure and the most importantwriting of the Middle Ages, The Beatus. These manuscripts are in the Mozarabic art style, which unites early Arabic rootsthe traditions of Christian manuscripts.
- Nibs: Flexible (Such as#1 or Mitchell #3.5,# 1.5 or Mitchell #3 ,C-4) even a pointed nib such as EF66.
- Paper of your choice, not a lot of texture, such as Arches Text Wove on Nideggen
- Water colors or gouache or color pencils & small brushes
- Pencil, mechanical (hard)
- Pencil, soft
Quotation of 15 to 45 words you love
- Grid paper – 1/4”
- ‘Loading’ brush for gouache
- Micron pen: #01 & #05
- Tracing Pape
- Water + container